Nancy Kelsey , Assistant Director
631/667-6000, ext. 300
The 18 school districts in the townships of Babylon, Smithtown and Huntington send students to Tech. Students who choose a career or technical program attend their home school for half a day and are bused to Tech for nearly three hours of the school day.
||Half Hollow Hills
|Cold Spring Harbor
Yes, Wilson Tech classes are approved by the State Education Department and the credits you acquire at Tech apply toward the 22 credits needed for graduation and a Regents diploma. You can even take academic courses while you're at Tech. Your home school will work out a schedule that includes a career and technical education program.
The CTE (Career & Technical Endorsement) seal on a Regents diploma indicates that you have successfully completed coursework in a two-year program at Tech, passed Career and Financial Management, met the attendance requirements AND you have passed a national certification exam. It means you have met the challenges of a rigorous training program that is recognized by employers in your field.
Students who complete a career and technical education program may receive up to 4 1/2 Regents credits for each year completed. Typically, students stay for two years earning up to 9 credits.
Yes. Tech has a job placement office that receives calls daily from employers looking for applicants. We offer lifetime job placement assistance such as resume writing, interview help and job search strategies.
Yes. Nearly half of the Tech graduates further their education at two and four year colleges or at specialized training schools. Tech programs have agreements with select colleges that may grant Tech graduates credits and/or advanced placement status.
What happened to the Class of 2011? Click Here
Check with your guidance counselor at your home high school about registering for Tech. If you need more information about specific programs, you can always call Tech at 631-667-6000, ext. 300.
We have several Open Houses or Visitors Days every year. Please come visit and see for yourself! Individual visits can also be arranged. Call 667-6000, ext. 300 for details.
Programs may be attended for either one or two years. Students who attend for two years receive extended training and experience in their chosen area.
Wilson Tech has five sites that are located at different locations. Click here to find these locations.
Our instructors. They know what businesses and industries require because they have worked in their fields. They bring on-the-job know-how to the classroom.
Individualized, hands-on instruction. At Tech you learn by doing. Many students report that the best part of Tech is working on their own individual projects. It's fun to see your own designs and ideas come to life!
Worksite experiences. These are available for many students. There's nothing like working in your field to prepare you for the job you really want. You'll be speaking from experience! Just what employers want.
There are various worksite experiences available to qualifying students:
1. Worksite Visitation - Like a field trip, the entire class visits a worksite related to their program for observing the daily operations.
2. Shadowing - Second-year seniors are offered the opportunity to visit a worksite in a related field up to six times.
3. Work Experience - Job Placement assists juniors and seniors to work after school.
4. Work Study - Tech seniors are given the opportunity in the second half of the semester to work in a related field during their Tech class time. Attendance, grades and professionalism are taken into consideration.
5. Cooperative Education - Diversified Career and Technical Education is offered through select districts. Co-op classes are taught by Wilson Tech staff. Those participating in a co-op class are released for a paid work experience.
6. Internships - Internships are developed on an individual basis between the student, Wilson Tech and cooperating employers. Internships are on a limited basis.
No. You graduate from your home school. However, if you successfully pass your class and meet the attendance requirements, you will receive a certificate from Wilson Tech at a special recognition ceremony in June.
©2013 Western Suffolk BOCES
17 Westminster Ave., Dix Hills, NY 11746
(631) 667-6000, ext. 300 email@example.com